POL Key Dates
- December 1, 2019 Deadline for registration.
- January 10, 2020 Deadline to register for regionals: names, poem selections, and contact information of students competing at regionals, as well as location of regional competition the students will attend. Each school can register their winner and runner-up for regional competition. Regional competition registration forms will be available in fall 2019.
Register Your School Winners for the Regional Competition here by January 10, 2020. Unregistered students will NOT be eligible to compete in the POL regional competitions.
Regional competitions will take place in January and February 2020. The final dates and other details will be posted in fall. We anticipate holding 2020 regional competitions at the following sites;
- Onondaga Community College, Syracuse
- Wednesday, January 15, 2020 @ 6pm
- Walt Whitman Birthplace, Huntington Station (Long Island)
- Wednesday, January 22, 2020 @ 6pm
- SUNY New Paltz
- Wednesday, January 29, 2020 @ 6pm
- Nassau Community College, Garden City (Long Island)
- Friday, January 31, 2020 @ 6pm
- Stony Brook University
- Monday, February 3, 2020 @ 6pm
- Hudson Valley Community College, Troy
- Wednesday, February 5, 2020 @ 6pm
- SUNY Global Center, New York City
- Friday, February 7, 2020 @ 6pm
- SUNY Oneonta
- Monday, February 10, 2020 @ 6pm
- College at Brockport (Rochester area)
- Wednesday, February 12, 2020 @ 6pm
- Fashion Institute of Technology, New York City
- Saturday, February 15, 2020 @ 6pm
STATE AND NATIONAL FINALS:
The New York State final will take place on Saturday, March 7, 2020 at FIT University in Manhattan, NY!
NEW YORK POETRY OUT LOUD PARTNERS
- The National Endowment for the Arts was established by Congress in 1965 as an independent agency of the federal government. To date, the NEA has awarded more than $4 billion to support artistic excellence, creativity, and innovation for the benefit of individuals and communities. The NEA extends its work through partnerships with state arts agencies, local leaders, other federal agencies, and the philanthropic sector.
- The Poetry Foundation, publisher of Poetry magazine, is an independent literary organization committed to a vigorous presence for poetry in our culture. It has embarked on an ambitious plan to bring the best poetry before the largest possible audiences.
- New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, is dedicated to preserving and expanding the rich and diverse cultural resources that are and will become the heritage of New York’s citizens.